Many people probably, including you, the one reading right now, do not even know whether you are suffering from it. The pitiful thing is that you might attribute the depression to old age, or just a normal phenomenon, when it actual fact, it is SAD that’s slowly eating you.
In this blog post, we will tell you what it is, how to identify it in your system, and how light box therapy can help you recover.
During winter and fall, a lot of people, with 60 to 90 percent being women, suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. This is a depression known to be stubborn, especially at a time when there is low natural sunlight.
Though it is a disturbing disorder, technology has vowed to solve it with the light box therapy.
Symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder
- So how do you know that you are suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder? It’s not simple to tell because symptoms differ, depending, especially on the person involved.However, generally, these are the common symptoms.
- Exhibition of emptiness and sadness
- Guilty feelings, helplessness, and seeming worthless
- Exhibiting no hope, being pessimistic, constant annoyance, and restlessness
- Losing interest in things you previously liked.
- Recurring death or suicidal mindset
- Having difficulty sleeping, change in weight, and concentration issues.
Causes of SAD
Without sending you deeper into the technical world of things, let’s explain it in simple terms. Generally, some section of your brain, normally referred to as hypothalamus is affected by the sunlight. When this happens, many other things including the production of melatonin, serotonin, and the circadian rhythm are affected negatively.
These issues create persistent depression in you. And since winter and fall have very low natural sun, these disorders get intensified and result to SAD.
Technology to the rescue
Who knew that one day, Seasonal Affective Disorder would be dealt with by technology? This, however, is the solution we have – light box therapy.
Effectiveness of light box therapy in treating SAD
Light therapy for SAD is known to be the best method of reducing or completely curbing SAD disorders in you. As you sit in front of the box, light is generated and your disorder is slowly taken care of.
You might decide to have your session in the morning, in the afternoon or during the night. Whenever you have your session, remember not to sit in front of the light box before 3 hours of sleeping.
Best light box therapy products on the market
Getting out of depression requires you to know some of the best and recommended light box therapy for SAD on the market. Let’s review 5 of the best lamps.
1. The Sun Touch Plus Light and Ion Therapy
This is a light therapy that will help you reduce depression throughout the day. It releases 10,000 LUX light, it also mimics the impact of sunny skies, and ultimately boost your entire mood.
- It produces 17,000 Kelvin UV-free light.
- It gives you a restful sleep
- Boost concentration and invigorates you.
- Some physicians say the Ion content in the light therapy is fake
2. The Verilux HappyLight Liberty Therapy Lamp
If you need a therapy lamp for Seasonal Affective Disorder, one that comes comfortably in a natural spectrum; one that weighs 1.5 Ibs, and has a moderate Lux of 5,000, look no further.
- Very light in weight, thus portable to carry around
- It is durable and lasts long
- It has very high standards, backed by Verilux’s reputation in the industry
- Some complain that a level of up to 5K, which is included is too much for the eye.
3. The Tendlite
When it comes to red light box therapy for SAD, the Tendlite wins. Apart from the normal depression, this light is known to be of good use to those suffering from shoulder, elbow, knee, or back pains. It is also analgesic and anti-inflammatory, making it excellent for the relief of all joint pains.
- Gives easy and painless treatment
- Sessions with this light are fast, safe, and simple
- It targets the real symptoms and relieves you of pain easily
- Light turns off itself after one minute, and so users complain of interrupted sessions.
4. The Lightphoria
This is a SAD light therapy produced by Sphere Gadget Technologies. It is an energy-conscious LED light, consumes just 7.2 watts, has 110-240 world AC compatibility, a 10,000 lux emission, and a wide spectrum of light.
- Excellent settings for intensity levels
- Lightweight and small, good enough for trips
- No heat emissions because the bulbs are LED-based
- The battery seems not to last for a long time
5. The Circadian Optics Lumos
This is a light therapy lamp that comes with a full LED spectrum, has a USB powered system, a lux emission of 10,000, low energy consumption, and a 60 edge of lit.
- A USB-powered system. You don’t necessarily need an AC adapter to use it.
- Very portable, easy to use on trips
- Low energy consumption
- Brightness of light very low
- Low battery life